The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
3 surfaces in the mouth that microbes like to adhere to
how does high fructose corn syrup increase risk of caries?
- sucrose is broken down into fructose and glucose by Strep mutans
- fructose is then metabolized into lactic acid
- glucose is used for glucan and glycocalyx to make biofilms
2 important natural defenses against bacteria in our mouth
- 1) water in saliva washes bacteria away
- 2) lysozyme breaks down peptidoglycan
- differential - turns yellow under 4.8pH
- selective - favors the growth of oral bacteria with a low medium pH of 4.8
- glucose added as fermentable carb
- molten agar is inoculated and cooled/incubated for 72hr
- yellow: bacteria present make acid - prone to caries