The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What was the year of the five good emperors?
What is the year of the Julio-Claudians?
What was the year of the Flavians?
Discuss the Flavians as a positive or negative impact.
Galba’s rule was temporary and the time period of 69 was the year of the four emperors. After their rule, Vespasian established the Flavian dynasty (69-96). His rule was a positive movement toward Roman civilization as it reestablished the economy on a sound basis after Nero and the destructive civil wars of 69. However, their use of the word emperor was a negative movement toward an absolute monarch.
Discuss the 5 Good Emperors as a positive or negative impact.
The five Good Emperors (96-180) contributed in a positive way toward Roman civilization as they were tolerant and diplomatic, respectable, cooperative with the Senate, ended arbitraty executions, and maintained peace in the empire. Furthermore, they created the new idea of adopting their successors. Nerva adopted Trajan, who was succeeded by Hadrian, who restored the military forces to good order. Antoninus Pius was his successor. The last of the five was Marcus Aurelius, who was viewed as a philosopher king. .
What did Hadrian do?
restored military forces to good order and worked to establish boundaries of the provinces and provide for their defense
Discuss the Silver Age of Latin Literature
- Positive, but efforts not as good as Golden Age.
- rhetorical training encouraged the use of clever literary expressions
- Seneca: served as tutor to and assisted Nero in running government; expressed the basic tenets of Stoicism
- Tacitus: wrote the Annals and the Histories, presenting a narrative account of Roman history from Tiberius through the assassination of Domitian
- Juvenal: wrote five satires
Development of Rome as an overcrowded city was a negative development. It led to crimes, an enormous gulf between the rich and poor. The rich were in villa and the poor were in insulae.
What is the date of the Severan dynasty?
What is the fifty year period of chaos?
Explain trade, manufacturing, and industry as a positive or negative impact.
- Trade resulted from interal piece. Merchants from all over the empire came to trade. The importation of large quantities of grain to feed the population and luxury items led to a steady drain of gold and silver coins. Trade occurred between Roman and Chinese empires, especially using the Silk Road, which led to even more money being depleted.
- Trade helped stimulate manufacturing. Items of the Hellenistic times were created and industries concentrated in certain areas.
Describe medicine in terms of positive or negative.
A transformation from herbal remedies of paterfamilies to scientific medicine brought iin from the Greeks began. Many doctors were Greek slaves. Initially, they were attached to the army, but later used by imperial officials and their families. This established public hospitals. Gladiatorial schools had their own doctors. Specialists were coming about also