The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is EPITHELIUM?
- sheet of cells
- covers exposed areas
- lines internal cavities
What are the functions of EPITHEIAL TISSUE?
- provide physical protection
- control permeability
- provide sensation
- produce secretions
What is involved in maintaining the integrity of EPITHELIUM?
- intercellular connections
- attachment to basal lamina
- self perpetuated renewal
What is SIMPLE epithelium?
only 1 layer
What is STRATIFIED epithelia?
What is SQUAMOUS epithelia?
thin flat cells
What is CUBOID epithelia?
height equal to width
What is TRANSITIONAL epithelia?
What is COLUMNAR epithelia?
height is 3-4x width
Describe SIMPLE SQUAMOUS epithelia.
- in blood vessels
- reduces friction
- lines body cavity
- controls vessel permeability
Describe STRATIFIED SQUAMOUS.
- in mouth, throat, esophagus, and anus
- a lot of layers
- flatter towards top
- protect v pathogens
Describe SIMPLE CUBOIDAL epithelia.
- lines kidneys
- 1 layer
- secretion and absorption
Describe STRATIFIED CUBOIDAL epithelia?
- lines some ducts
Describe SIMPLE COLUMNAR epithelia.
- in digestive tract
- and uterine tubes
Describe STRATIFIED COLUMNAR epithelia.
- for protection
- less common
- pharynx, epiglottis, anus, mammaty gland
Describe PSEUDOSTRATIFIED CILIATED COLUMNAR epithelia.
- only one with cilia
- protection and secretion
- everything touches basal lamina
- lines respiratory tract
Describe TRANSITIONAL epithelia.
- in urinary bladder, renal pelvis, and ureters
- stretches (recoils) and relaxes (expands)
Describe SEROUS GLANDS.
secrete watery fluids rich in enzymes
Describe MUCOUS GLANDS.
secrete glycoproteins (mucins) that absorb water to form mucus
Describe MIXED EXOCRINE GLANDS.
contain cells capable of both serous and mucous secretions and secrete both
Example of SIMPLE TUBUALR.
Example of SIMPLE COILED TUBULAR.
merocrine sweat glands (watery)
Example SIMPLE BRANCHED TUBULAR.
- gastric glands
- mucous glands of esophagus, tongue, and duodenum
Example of SIMPLE ALVEOLAR.
- not in adult
- stage ofdevelopment
Example of SIMPLE BRANCHED ALVEOLAR.
sebaceous glands (oil)
Example of COMPOUND TUBULAR.
- male reproductive glands
Example of COMPOND ALVEOLAR.
Example of COMPOUND TUBULOALVEOLAR.
- salivary glands
- glands of respiratory passages
Describe APOCRINE SECRETION.
- loss of cytoplasm
- cytoplasmic components shed at apical surface
- gland cell goes through period of growth and repair
- (everything gathers in apical surface and part breaks off)
Describe MEROCRINE SECRETION.
secretory vesicles discharged at surface of gland cell through exocytosis.
Describe HOLOCRINE SECRETION.
- cell division replaces lost cells
- cells produce secretion, size increases
- cells burst, releasing cytoplasmic contents
- (stem cells at base always reproducing, explode @top)