CDO 338 9.2 Assessment
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Informal Procedures to supplement tests
- Sample & record continuous speech
- Probe Lists
- Transcribe any words containing aberrant productions
- Vowel or consonant
- From any interactions-with you or others
- Whether the phoneme in the word is the “target” on the test.
- /b^lum/ m/n which is not the “target /l/being tested’
Sample & record continuous speech
- Get a representational sample of the client’s verbal communication pattern as a basis of looking at “speech” production in context
- Speech sample offers information about many different functions, language, voice, prosody
- Errors increase or decrease based on production task required:
- -More complex linguistic contents generally cause increased articulation errors.
- -Speech Patterns improve when children relate information important to them.
- Do after Artic test
- Provide objects/pictures that may elicited targeted sounds
- Sample Size:
- -3 minutes of client’s conversational speech
- -100 words minimum
- -200-250 words preferable
- Diversify sample: describe pictures, tell stories, describe items function, problem solving.
- Supplement the artic test by words/phrases that address the noted problem of the client
- Target the sound to be sampled:
- -With various vowels
- -In various word/syllable positions
Define Speech Intelligibility
A measure of the ability of a listener to understand the speech used.
Two Ways to Measure
- 1.Rating Scale (see handout)
- 2.Percent of intelligible words in a speech sample
- % =Total number of intelligible words
- Total number of words spoken
Assessing Diadochokinetic Rates
- A function of motor control
- Judge the ability of the articulators to perform speech movements
- An important component of a complete speech assessment.
- Rule out structural or Functional factors that relate to a communication disorder.
- Valid/Reliable understanding of oral structure :
General Aspects of an Oral/Facial Exam
- Symmetry - midline mirror images not present
- Variance in size relationships
- Missing Structures
- Absent or Weak Function
Oral Facial Exam
- Tongue Depressor
- Cotton Gauze
- Hand antiseptic
- Foods for reluctant patiants
- hard palate
- soft palate
Speech Rate Data
- Best measured in Syllables Per Minute (SPM)
- Age 6 = 140 - 175 SPM
- Age 8 = 150 - 180 SPM
- Age 10 = 165 - 215 SPM
- Age 12 = 165 - 220 SPM
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview