The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Microbiota or Microbiome
The colonizing microbes;varies with tissue type and various conditions
- dry, salty, acidic, protective oils
- Gram positive bacteria most common on skin (teichoic acid protects it)
- highly colonized; teeth are a good colonizing enrivornment. Streptococcus mutans.
- sterile under normal circumstances
- Mucociliary escalator: cilia moves in a wave action to move mucos away from lungs to be expelled or swalled.
- Very few microbes
- Heliobacter pylori: burrows into protective mucous. Breaks down urea to CO2 and ammonia to create a higher pH around it.