BOT exam 2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is fragmentation?
- A large spreading or vining plant grows into several meters in length, and individual parts become self-sufficient by establishiing adventitious roots.
- Is a product of asexual reproduction when performing mitosis.
What are the 2 phases of the Plant Life Cycle?
- 1. The sporophyte phase is where the plant is entirely diploid, grown by mitosis after fertilization. It produces gametes by meiosis.
- 2. The gametophyte phase is where the plant is haploid, sometimes in male (microgametophyte) and female (megagametophyte). These grow by mitosis to produce sperm and eggs.
What are the structures of a basic flower?
- 1. Flower stalk is a pedicel.
- 2. Where flower parts are attached is the receptacle.
- 3. Sepals are the lowermost and outermost of the four floral appendages.
- 4. Petals
- 5. Stamens produce pollen
- Filament - stalk of stamen
- Anther - where pollen is produced
- 6. Carpel - female parts
- Stigma - catches pollen grains
- Style - elevates stigma
- Ovary - produces eggs and where fertilization occurs
What are the three layers of fruit development?
- exocarp, mesocarp, endocarp
- entire fruit wall is the pericarp
What is the difference between a true fruit and an accessory fruit?
A true fruit is a fruit containing only ovarian tissue, and an accessory fruit does not have ovarian tissue.
What are the three types of fruits?
simple fruit (apple), aggregate fruit (raspberries), multiple fruit (pineapple)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview