BOT exam 2
Card Set Information
BOT exam 2
flowers plant photosynthesis
Covers flowers & reproduction, transport, mineral nutrition, photosynthesis, plant genetics, and evolution
What is fragmentation?
A large spreading or vining plant grows into several meters in length, and individual parts become self-sufficient by establishiing adventitious roots.
Is a product of asexual reproduction when performing mitosis.
What are the 2 phases of the Plant Life Cycle?
1. The sporophyte phase is where the plant is entirely diploid, grown by mitosis after fertilization. It produces gametes by meiosis.
2. The gametophyte phase is where the plant is haploid, sometimes in male (microgametophyte) and female (megagametophyte). These grow by mitosis to produce sperm and eggs.
What are the structures of a basic flower?
1. Flower stalk is a pedicel.
2. Where flower parts are attached is the receptacle.
3. Sepals are the lowermost and outermost of the four floral appendages.
5. Stamens produce pollen
Filament - stalk of stamen
Anther - where pollen is produced
6. Carpel - female parts
Stigma - catches pollen grains
Style - elevates stigma
Ovary - produces eggs and where fertilization occurs
What are the three layers of fruit development?
exocarp, mesocarp, endocarp
entire fruit wall is the pericarp
What is the difference between a true fruit and an accessory fruit?
A true fruit is a fruit containing only ovarian tissue, and an accessory fruit does not have ovarian tissue.
What are the three types of fruits?
simple fruit (apple), aggregate fruit (raspberries), multiple fruit (pineapple)