The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Betweeen _________, when the female's egg is __________ by the male sperm, and birth, _______ ______ has special properties.
conception, fertilized, connective tissues
In the ________, rapidly dividing cells are ___________ together into _________and ______, so they must be able to move freely.
embryo, gathering, organs, tissues
Embryonic connective tissue
- Mucous connective tissue
Mature connective tissue
- Loose connective tissue
- Dense connective tissue
In a mature human the job of connective tissue ...
- is to hold things in place,
- it generally does not want to allow movement of cells (with exeption of immune cells which are patrolling the issue to detect, and destroy invaders)
Embryonic connective tissue exists...
to support the movement and formation of tissues and organs
Once the tissue and organs take on their _____ ____, then the ________tissue type switches over to one of ther ________ _______
final form, connective, mature type
- Almost all of the embryo is made up of mesenchyme
- Almost fluid in consistency and the cells are widely spaced
- Greek: "poured into the middle"
This was once called Warton's jelly but is now termed mucous connective tissue.
The jelly like connective tissue found in the umbilical cord of the embryo, connecting the mother and child.
Subcategories of loose connective tissue include:
- areolar connective issue
- adipose tissue
- reticlular connective tissue
Areolar connective tissue
- the most common connective tissue type
- found in a wide variety of locations such as the layer supporting the skin and mucous membranes, and supporting and surrounding organs.
- consist if a mixture of fiber types (collagen, elastin, and reticular fibers)
- and cell types( fibrolasts and defense cells)
- also known as fat
- found under the skin, around the heart and kidneys, in yellow bone marrow
- Forms a cushion in joints and around ey sockets
- consists of cells called adipocytes that have a huge fat droplet surrounded by a rim of cytoplasm and nucleus
Reticular connective tissue
- Reticular fibers in a loose meshwork with reticular cells
- This forms the stroma (supporting framework; Greek: "bed or couch") of the liver, spleen, lymph nodes, and red b one marrow (where blood cells are formed
- It also forms the reticular lamina of the basement membrean
Subcategories of dense conective tissue include:
- dense regular
- dense irregular
Dense regular tissue
- Appear grossly as a white, shiney sheet
- Made up of collegan fibers in regular bundles with a few fibroblasts
- found in tendons, ligaments and sheetlike tendons called aponeurosesThe dense structure combined with a lack of blood supply, makes these tissues extremely slow to heal after injury
Dense irregular tissue
- Has fibroblasts and collagen fibers
- collagen fibers run in many different directions( this gives the strenght in all directions)
- found in the fasciae which form sheets between muscles; in the deeper part of the skin; in the "peri-tissues (periosteum, perichondrium, pericardium) that surround bone, cartilage, and the heart, respectively;heart valves; and capsules surrounding organs.
Elastic connective tissue
- Made up of many ariented elastic fibers (like little bungee cords) and a few scattered fibroblasts
- Found in the lungs, trechea, bronchial tubes and vocal cords; in the walls of arteries; in ligaments between vertebrae; and in the suspensory ligaments of the penis
muscles to bones
bone to bone
True or false: Cartilage is a connective tissue that is harder and less flexible than dense connective tissue
What are the three Cartilage types?
- 1. Hyaline
- 2. Fibrocartilage
- 3. Elastic cartilage
- The living part of each type of cartilage
- a cell that looks like a fried egg through the microscope
- The most abundant type of cartilage
- Shiney, bluish-white substance that consists of fine collagen fibers and many chondrocytes.
- The chondrocytes are enclosed in lacunae (Latin: "lakes")
- Has a more fibrous appearance
- The collagen fibers here are coarser and gathered together into thich bundles.
- Found in the pubic symphysis (where the bones of the pelvis are joined), in the disc between vertibrae, in hte padding of the knees (menisci), and where tendon inserts into cartilage
The _________ yet strong nature of the ______ __________ makes childbirth possible. The space between the two haves of the _________ ______ enlarges just enough to permit the _____ ____ to pass.
fibrous, pubic bone, pelvic bone, baby's head
- Makes up the flap that sorts out liquid from air in the throat (epiglottis), in the external ear, and the tubers that connect the ear to the mouth that "pop" when pressure changes(auditory tubes or Eustachian tubes)
- Made up of a meshwork of elastic fibers surroundingthe chondrocytes.
What are the two types of bone?
What are Osteocytes?
- The cells of bones
- (Osteo means "bone")
Has a complex and regular structure consisting of osteons as the basic functional and anatomical unit.
Bone is a mixture of :
inorganic (hydroxyapatite, a mineral) and oganic (collagen) components.
- Much more irregular structure
- Spikes of mineralized tissue have ample space between for red bone marrow.