1. King of Macedonia who Lived from 359-336
2. Held hostage in Thebes for three years
- 3. Returned to Macedonia, and reorganized
- military. He developed siege weapons like the torsion catapult to conquer city with closed walls. (Also the Sarissa - long pikes more than 13 inches and crossbow) And united Macedonia.
- 4. Battles
- - 371- Battle of Leuctra - Thebean victory shattered immense influence over the Greek penincula which Sparta gained since its victory in the Peloponnesian War
- 362- Battle of Mantinea - Epaminondas dies and Spartans defeated hedging the way for hedgemony over Greece
- 338- Battle of Chaeronea - Macedonians conquered Athens and Thebes when Phillip’s phalanx engulfed Greeks. Phillip forced to form alliance with all of Greece except Sparta- League of Corinth
5. Becomes King in 359 and kills all of his rivals including his family.
6. Gold was discovered during his reign and uses it to build his army - paid professionals
7. He conquers Thessaly and northern Aegean and Epirius
8. Married six wives (including Olimpius) and at the wedding of one of his daughters, Cleopatra
9. One theory is that Olimpius killed him another is that he was assassinated by his servant named Pausanias and Alexander became King.
10. Epaminondas was his tutor - General of Thebes