Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
topical analgesic effect to mucosal lining of urinary tract. It does not kill bacteria, it is used to control symptoms of dysuria, frequency, & urgency assoc. w/ UTI. Use it only during the 1st 24-48 hrs of antibiotic tx (will turn urine reddish orange)
- broad spectrum antibiotic bacteriostatic at common dose, bactericidal at higher dose.
- uncomplicated lower UTI
broad spectrum bactericidal agent effective v. G+ &- (UTIs)
- combo of intermediate acting sulfonamide (septra) & a synthetic anti-infective (Bactrim) effective against severely
- crystal formations in kidneys, CBC & diff, >warfarin, dilantin, oral hypoglycemics, <2 mo old
- synthetic nucleotide, interferes w/ DNA synth of Herpes I,II & zoster (inhibiting viral replication)
- nephrotox-fever chills flank p. dysuria >freq & urg.
- neuro- agitation, tremors
oseltamivir & zanamivir
- inhibits influenza A & B
- oseltamivir=oral- NV
- Zanamivir=inhalled- cough, throat irr
- take w/in 48 hrs
Flu shot contraindicators
- serious chicken allergy
- severe allergic reaction to influenza in past
- gillian bear syndrome
- moderate-severe illness w/ fever
Isoniazid + Rifampin + Pyrazinamide + Ethambutol
- four antibiotics recommended for treatment of active tuberculosis
- hepatotoxicity- ALT AST
- Ethambutol-color distortion, blurry vision
- rifampin- discolored body fluid (red, orange)
- Latent TB
- 6 mo min, 9 mo recommended
Reverse Transcriptase inhibitors
- RTIs block reverse transcriptase's enzymatic function and prevent completion of synthesis of the double-stranded viral DNA, thus preventing HIV from multiplying.
- AZT, Retrovir
- prevent viral replication by inhibiting the activity of proteases, e.g. HIV-1 protease, enzymes used by the viruses to cleave nascent proteins for final assembly of new virions.
- Most effective
- interferes with the binding, fusion and entry of an HIV virion to a human cell. By blocking this step in HIV's replication cycle, such agents slow the progression from HIV infection to AIDS
Pneumocystis Carinii Pneumonia
- fungal like organism, potentially fatal