The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
couple having unprotected sex for 1 year and not becoming pregnant
a fertile male has __% normal sperm
3 parameters of male fertility
- sperm count
- sperm motility
- sperm morphology
- immotile cilia
- respiratory infections
- left-right situs inversus
- (fertility can be restored using ICSI)
achondroplasia is related to
advanced paternal age
what happens to sperm as men age?
- decline in sperm count, motility, morphology
- increase in Apert syndrome, achondroplasia, schizophrenia
arrest of eggs timeline
prophase of meiosis I to metaphase of meiosis II
egg + fluid + surrounding somatic cells
number of ova during fetal life?
number of ova ovulated?
percentage of ova present at birth that will be ovulated
when does completion of meiosis II in eggs occur?
after entry of sperm into egg
- surrounding somatic cells of ova
- some stay with egg after ovulation
- support oocyte development with factors (incl. c-Kit)
- responsible for keeping egg in arrest
age effects on eggs
- increase in nondisjunctions
- decrease in number and survival of eggs