Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Goals of Progressivism
- Protecting Social Welfare
- Promoting Moral improvement
- Creating eco. reform
- Fostering efficiency
Promoting Moral Improvement
- Prohibition: the banning of alcoholic beverages
- Suffrage: attempting to get women the right to vote
Reform at the State Level
- Efforts to limiting working hours
- Muller v. Oregon- Court upholds limiting women to 10 hr workday
- Bunting v. Oregon- upholds 10 hr workday for men
- Reformers win workers' compensation for families of injured, killed
Protecting Social Welfare
- Child labor laws
- Reduction in the work week
- Social services tp help the poor and the immigrants
Cleaning up state gov.
- Direct primary
an election in which the voters cast ballots to select nominees for an upcoming election
Process that allows citizens to gather signatures on petitions to get a prosposed law on the ballot
Citizens may demand, via petition, to be able to vote for or against a law
Gave citizens the ability to vote bad officials out of office
Reforming Local Gov.
- -huricane and tidal wave led to an emergency situation
- -4 member commission of experts are given the task to rebuild the city
- a flood led to the creation of council-manager gov.
- Council writes the laws
- Manager runs the city
Teddy Roose. Progressive Presidency
- Square Deal
- Pure food and drug Act
- 16 amend.
- 17 amend.
Roose. Square Deal
- "Everyone deserves a square deal"
- Roose. is going to use the Presidency to start programs
Sherman Anit-Trust Act
- Outlawed monopolies and practicers that resulted in unfair business practices
- Roose. used this to go after big trusts
Meat Inspection Act
- Created rules for cleanliness
- Created a progream for meat inspection
Pure Food And Drug Act
- Halted the sale of contaminated foods and medecines
- Called for truth in labeling
U.S. Forest Service
- To protect and manage the nation's water and timber resources
- Strengthen by Teddy Roose.
Gave congress the power to levy an Income Tax
Provided for the direct election of senators
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview