MUSIC 208 EXAM
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
New York Worlds Fair: World of Tommorow
- -Grover Whelen, president of fair
- -Time capsule- included baseballs from magazines and books(5000 years)
- -George Washington comes to town- 150th anniversary
- -Albert Einstein turning on lights ceremony
- - Pres FDR gave opening day speech
- -75 cents to get in, 25 cents for guidebook
- -amusement section
- -buttons that say I have seen the future
- -Attractions- futurama in general motors building
- - naked girls
- -dancing shows
- brought swing style to american popular music
- "king of swing"
- clarinet player
- *ridin high
drummer in Benny Goodmans band
pianist in benny goodmans band- black- goodman never took band on stage bcuz of this
Played vibrophone in Goodmans band- "Moonglow"
trumpet player, was in goodmans band--wants to start his own band-- goodman helps-- succeeds. Frank sinatra sang with his band *all or nothing at all
- played trumpet/trombone
- "marie" sung by sinatra
played saxophone-- was in tommys band but went separate ways-- rivalry
- trombone player
- jazzy feel
- played in army
- plane crash
- "in the mood"
- wealthy/gay lifestyle-- married woman--- lived luxarious life
- wrote broadway songs for ethel merman
- "another openin, another show"
- american compser of broadway shows-- worked with hammerstein and hart
- "the lady is a tramp" with hart from babes in arms
- "younger than springtime" with hammerstein
- just writes lyrics w/hammerstein
- -depressed, gets sick
- -stops working with hammerstein
- songwriter who approached Richard Rogers-- do show called "oklahoma" BIG HIT
- *younger than springtime
Alan Jay Lerner
- music writer
- shows include my fair lady and brigadoon
- *I could have danced all night
song plugger among many jobs... writes songs with Alen jay lerner
- Wrote song after pearl harbor "praise the lord and pass the ammunition" POPULAR-- limited to plays on radio
- after war-- asked to do shows
- songwriter who always worked with other composers such as stephen sondheim
- "everythings coming up roses"
Erich Wolfgang Korngold
- child prodigy composer from hungary, fleed to america
- brought symphonic sound to hollywood movies(robin hood)
- *Captain Blood theme song
comes back to broadway-- writes military show-- businessman
- choreographer in hollywood-- the best-- like ziegfield shows-- start of lip syncing
- made movie about ziegfield
- "the great ziegfeld"
- dancer/singer in hollywood
- worked with ginger rogers alot among other women
- singer/ dancer in hollywood
- big in 30`s
- worked with Astaire a lot
- wrote movie scores for warner bros
- "gone with the wind"
- Hungarian violinist
- fleed to america
- composed in hollywood(dark films) film noir
- american traditional composer
- known for operas
- "adagio for strings"
- "piano concerto"(3rd movement)
- American traditional composer
- writes opera after opera
- "now our lips say goodbye"
- Jazz orchestra leader
- played piano and composed
- "artistry in rhythm"
- saxophone player for dizzie gillepsie
- heoin addict
- "shaw nuff"
- trumpet player and band leader
- "cool jazz"
- **shaw nuff on tape
jazz pianist and composer
- white pianist-- brubeck quartet
- National icon-- remakes face of jazz
- "progressive jazz style"
- experimental or innovative style of music
- people who pushed the envelope
- "john cage, phillip glass, charles ives, edgard varese, elliot carter"
- Avant garde composer
- *piano sonata No. 2(concord Mass.)
Mental Hygiene Films
comedy films meant to teach people safety in driving from how to act on dates
- Avant gard composer
- *ionisation-- all percussion on tape
- Avant garde composer
- known for 4`33
- **sonata for prepared piano
- played sitar
- avant garde composer
- **satyagraha act 3
- savior of broadway musicals
- grew up next to oscar hammerstein
- *send in the clowns
- *everythings coming up roses w/jule styne
- modern swing orchestra
- -no strings
- -trumpet section, trombone section, rhythm section, string base, 5 saxophones, maybe piano and guitar
- -leaders in front of band
- - often include soloist
- composer of serious composition
- director of NY philharmonic
- did west side story
- "glitter and be gay"
a phonographic record that synced with movies
Thomas "fats" waller
- jazz pianist/organist
- taught by count basie
- large man
- drank alot
- from toledo, ohio
- jazz pianist-- greatest in sieks opinion
- played without rhythm section, jazz soloist based now
- "too marvelous for words"
- two time pulitzer prize winning composer
- avante garde
- influenced by copland
- "piano concerto"
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview