LA Sx, Q3, IX
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How is the anatomy of Bos Indicus bulls different?
- larger penis
- lerger pendulous prepuce
How is the testicle oriented in a bull?
- in scrotum: head of epididymus is dorsal and tail is ventral
The artery of the penis is a branch of what larger artery?
Where does teh retractor penis muscles attach?
attach ventrolaterally at distal bend of sigmoid flexure
What is unique about boar pig anatomy?
- -penis has sigmoid flexure
- -counter clockwise rotation of penis in coitus/corkscrew shape
- -large preputial diverticulum (smells)
- tesicle sits like a cats- tail os epididymus is dorsal/caudal and head is ventral/cranial
What is the main source of innervation to the penis?
pudendal nerve (motor and sensory)
T or F: Urethral diverticulum is present in all ruminants and in swine?
True- makes catheterization difficult
What has haired skin- the sheath or the prepuce?
sheath = haired skin
Preputial orifice has long tactile hairs at the end for what?
- to help urine run off when urinating
- (male horses dont have this!)
What is a persistent frenulum?
- penis is attached to prepuce
- prevents extension of penis
Why can we use a towel clamp to pull penis our of preputial orifice and the bull is okay with that?
not much pain sensation to glans penis
Where is a hair ring located usually?
just proximal to preputial ring/ caudal to glans penis
How does a bull usually get a penile papilloma?
1-3 yr old bulls housed together ride each other, penis gets cut/traumatized, virus spreads from cutaneous papillomas
What are 2 ways to manage a penile papilloma?
- 1. commercial or autogenous wart vaccine (sometimes works)
- 2. surgery (best)
What is a penile hematoma?
- mild external trauma to penis
- "slight hematoma"
- superficial vessels damaged only
What is a hematoma of the penis (not the same as penile hematoma)?
- broken penis
- rupture of tunica albuginea from violent breeding
Where is the most likely place for the tunica albuginea to rupture in a hematoma of the penis?
- distal bend of sigmoid flexure
- (b/c weakest here)
Why would a bull with a hematoma of the penis be slaughtered?
bull cant be used in current breeding season- so calving season is ruined for farmer esp if only one calving season used
What is the chances of return to breeding soundness with sexual rest (conservative mngt) vs surgical mgmt?
- conservative/sexual rest= 50% chance breeding sound
- surgical= 80% chance
Ruminants should always be restrained in what recumbancy and why?
- right lateral
- because production of ruminal gas
Why must we put a bull with hematoma of the penis on antibiotics?
bacteria love to live in hematomas- infection very possible
What type of suture pattern is used to close the tunica albuginea?
- boot lace suture pattern
What is a normal post-op complication with a hematoma of the penis?
- forms and resolves in 10 days
What is a complication from surgery of a hematoma of the penis that will leave the bull unable to breed?
- vascular shunts between Corpus cavernosum penis and vessels
- erection cant happen
- cant do much about it either =/
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview