Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What joints are SYNARTHROSIS joints?
- - A type of fibrous joint.
- - A suture joint that has a thin layer of fibrous periosteum between two bones. ie the skull
- -Also gomphoses
What joints are AMPHIARTHROSIS joints?
- -A type of fibrous joint.
- -A syndesmoses joint which is bones held together by a ligament.
- -slightly movable
What joints are DIARTHROSIS joints.
- -A synovial joint
- -Freely movable
What is an example of SYNDESMOSIS?
- -A ligament joint
- -Tibiofibular joint (slight motion)
What is a SYNCHONDROSES joint?
- -A cartilaginous joint
- -Connecting material is hyaline cartilage
- -Immovable (synarthrosis)
- -Found in epiphyseal plates or between ribs and sterum
What is a SYMPHYSIS joint?
- -Cartilaginous joint
- -Fibrocartilage is connectiong material
- -slightly movable (amphiarthrosis)
- -Found in IV dics and pubic symphysis
What type of joint is a SYNOVIAL joint?
A multiaxial joint
What are the basic structures a synovial joint has? Criteria.
- 1) Synovial cavity
- 2) Freely movable (diathroses)
- 3) Articular cartilage (avascular)
- -reduces friction
- -on surface of bone
- -absorbs shock
- 4) Articular capsule
- -surrounding joint
- -thickening in fibrous
- -capsule called ligament
- 5) Synovial Membrane
- -inner lining of capsule
- -secretes synovial fluid
- -brings nutrients to articular cartilage
What are the accessory structures of a synovial joint?
- 1) Accessory ligaments (ACL / PCL)
- 2) Articular disc and menisci (knee)
- 3) Bursae: fluid-filled saclike extension of the joint capsule, reduces friction
- 4) Tendon Shealth: tubelike bursae wrapped around tendon
What is an example of a hinge joint?
- - The concex surface of one bone fits into the concave surface of another bone.
- - Uniaxial
- - Knee, elbow, interphalangeal joints
What is an example of a condyloid joint?
- -Oval shaped projection fits into oval depression
- - Biaxial
- - Wrist and metacarpophalangeal joint
What is an example of a saddle joint?
- - One bone is saddle shaped and the other bone straddles it.
- - Biaxial
- - metacarpal of the thumb and trapezium of carpus
What is an example of a pivot joint?
- - Rounded surface of bone artiulates with ring formed by 2nd bone + ligament
- - Monoaxial
- - Proximal radioulnar joint
- - Atlanto-axial joint
What is an example of a ball and socket joint?
- - Ball fitting into a cuplike depression
- - Multiaxial
- - Shoulder and hip joint
How many bones form the elbow joint?
How many bones form the knee joint?
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview