Classification of matter
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the two classes of matter?
pure and impure
matter composed of only one kind of atom or molecule
matter made up of more than one of atom or molecule.
Describe mixtures (impure)? (2)
- 1) substances are being mixed together
- 2) they are not chemically bonding to one another
Describe the properties of mixtures? (2)
- 1) Each substance in a mixture keeps their identity and most physical properties.
- 2) can be seperated using simple physical means- has no chemical reactions
What are the 2 types of mixtures?
homogeneous and heterogeneous mixture
Describe charcterisitcs of heterogeneous. (2)
- 1) sometimes have particles large enough to be seen throughout
- 2) particles will sometimes settle upon standing
Describe homogeneous mixture? (2)
- 1) appears to be the same throughout
- 2) very small particles that do not settle out.
mixtures that are not uniform throughout and sometimes individual parts can be seen ?
homogenous or heterogeneous
What are the types of heterogeneous mixture? (2)
- 1) suspensions
- 2) colloids
Are suspension pure or impure?
Describe characteristics of suspensions? (1)
1) particles are sometimes large enough to be seen and may settle out.
What are some examples of suspensions (impure)? (4)
- 1) Italian salad dressing
- 2) taco salad
- 3) sand & water mixture
- 4) ocean water
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview