Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Why do we need to know how to communicate?
- Decrease stress
- Maintain effective relationships
- Meet legal, ethical, and clinical SOC
- Decrease Errors
- Progress Professionally
- Deliver Quality Care
- Maintain Pt Safety
Levels of Communication
- Intrapersonal (inner thought)
- Interpersonal (one on one)
- Transpersonal (Prayer, Meditation)
- Small Group (Small conference)
- Denotative/Connotative meaning
- Timing and Relevance
- Generally unconsciously motivated
- May accurately indicate a person's intended meaning than the spoken words
- Often receiver places more "trust" in nonverbal than verbal message
- Characteristics: Facial expression, eye contact, posture, gait, gestures, and sounds
Zones of Personal Space
- Intimate: 0-18"
- Personal: 18"- 4'
- Social: 4'-12'
- Public: 12' +
What is SOLER in Active Listening?
- S: Sit facing the client
- O: Observe an open posture
- L: Lean towards the client
- E: Establish and maintain eye contact
- R: Relax
What is Therapeutic Communication?
- Responses that encourage the expression of feelings and ideas and convey acceptance and respect.
- Using Touch, Observation, Empathy, and Silence
- Conveys a sense of self-assurance
- Communicates respect for the other person
- Often contain "I" messages
- Hinder or damage professional relationships
- May cause recipients to activate defenses to avoid being hurt
- Tend to discourage further expression of feelings
NonTherapeutic Communication Techniques
- Giving personal opinions
- Changing the subject (shows a lack of empathy)
- Automatic responses (stereotypes)
- Asking for explanations "why"
- Approval or Disapproval
- "yes or no" questions
- Giving advice
The Nurse's Role in Communication
- Establishes, directs, and takes responsibility for the interaction
- Nurse displays non-judgmental acceptance of the client
- Uses tools of therapeutic communication
Barriers to Communication
- Hearing Impaired
- Visually Impaired
- Non-English Speaking
- Cognitively Impaired
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview