The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Anything that has a mass and takes up space
- eg. water, wood, air, etc.
- Contains only 1 kind of particle
- can not be broken down further by physical methods.
- 1. Elements
- 2. Compounds
- ex. gold, oxygen, water, nitrogen
- Contains more than one kind of particle
- can be separated by physical methods
- 1. solutions
- 2. mechanical mixtures
- ex steel, pop, bronze, brass etc.
- A pure substance that cannot be broken down into simpler parts
- eg. periodic table; sodium, helium, lithium, etc.
- A pure substance that is made of 2 or more different elements that are chemically combined.
- ex. water, carbon dioxide, glucose
- A characteristic of a substance that can be observed and measured without changing the identity of a substance
- They can be either qualitative, or quantitative
The measure of a substances resistance to flow
- The melting point is the temperature of melting of a substance.
- ex. the melting point of iron is 1538° C
- The boiling point is the temperature at which a substance boils
- ex. water = approx. 100o C
Solubility is the ability of a substance to dissolve into another substance.
- Density is the ratio of mass to volume
- Density = mass / volume
- D = m / v
Chemical property describes the behaviour of a substance as it reacts with another substance to form one or more new substances.
- Cumbustibility is the ability of a substance to react rapidly with oxygen to produce carbon dioxide.
- Ex. propane is used as a fuel for heating air in hot air balloons.
stability is the ability of a substance to remain unchanged
- Toxicity is the ability of a substance to cause harmful effects in plants and animals
- WHMIS symbol