science glossary terms
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
An ion is a positively or negatively charged atom or group of atoms
chemical bonds are the links that hold atoms together
- compounds that consist of 2 or more elements that are chemically linked together.
- ionic bond : a chemical bond that forms between oppositely charged ions.
A compound that forms when one or more valence electrons is transferred from one atom to another.
An ionic bond forms between 2 ions, forming a neutral compound.
- Ionic compounds tend to be very strong requiring large amounts of energy to break.
- most ionic compounds exist in a solid arrangement called crystal lattice (regular repeating pattern of ions)
many ionic compounds are soluble in water
good conductors of electricity when melted or dissolved in water.
- A chemical bond in which two atoms share one or more pairs of electrons
- A molecule is the smallest unit of a pure substance that has two or more atoms covalently bonded.
- Not all molecules are compounds because compounds are made up or 2 or more different elements
- Ex. oxygen is a molecule but not a compound.
- (ex. H2O)
- A compound with particles made up of atoms held together by covalent bonds
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview