The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name 4 common physical disabilities in schools
When do physical disabilities most frequently occurs?
- at birth
- shortly thereafter
What are 3 common developmental disabilities found in schools?
What characterizes a developmental disability?
syndrome/disease that affects the rate of growth and development
What are 4 common acquired disabilities found in schools?
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Alzheimer's disease
What are aquired disabilities?
- can occur at any time in life
- not connected to gender or ethnicity
What is aphasia?
- partial or complete loss of ability to speak or understand spoken language
- results from an injury
- problems with coordination
- parts of the nervous system control movement and balance are affected.
- affect the fingers, hands, arms, legs, body, speech, and eye movements.
The word ataxia is often used to describe a symptom of incoordination which can be associated with infections, injuries, other diseases, or degenerative changes in the central nervous system.
What is aspiration?
withdrawing material from the body by suctioning
What is abduction?
movement of limbs from the midline of the body
What does congenital mean?