Sociology - Religious Beliefs
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Definitions of Religion fall into two catagories..
- 1. Inclusivist
- 2. Exclusivist
Substantive definition of religion
(DEF) a definition which tries to express the essence of religion. eg. presence of scripture, activities etc.
(F) Emile Durkheim
Three KEY points
- (F)1. Reinforcing Collective Consciousness
- 2. Strengthening social solidarity
- 3. Individual adaptations
Two places which religion plays great importance
- (F)1. Life Crisis
- 2. Prediction Control
(F) Talcott Parsons
- (F)1. provides meaning and ligitimises core values of a culture - promotes social solidarity
Evaluation of Functionalism
- 1. Emphasises the good points but ignores when religion is used as an instrument of oppression
- 2. Does not explain origin of religion
- 3. Does not include RELIGIOUS PLURALISM
(NF) Robert Bella (Glock and Bella)
1. Key term
(NF) Civil religion
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview