Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How have recombinant DNA approaches been used to generate different types of vaccines?
- Subunit vaccines: one or more surface proteins from the virus/bacterium are inserted in a vector then retrieved/purified from the host. (hep B)
- Edible vaccines: produced direct in food/pants with a gene from a huamn pathogen. Eating the food triggers immune response.
What impact are transgenic crops having on the agricultural industry?
- Herbicide resistance
- Pesticide resistance
- Nutritional value modification (golden rice)
How can enhanced characteristics be created in a transgenic crop or animal?
- Animals: isolate newly fertilized eggs, or stem cells, and inject purified cloned DNA w/ vegtor and transgene of interest. Place eggs into mouse. Baby mice screened for trangenicity by a tail sample. All future generations will have the trait.
- Golden rice grows with the increased nutritional content
- Cows can secrete the product in their milk
- Salmon exessing hgh can grow 10x larger
- Rabbits that glow in the dark
What are amniocentesis and CVS? What can they test for?
- Amniocentesis: needle inserted through abdominal and uterine walls to recover amniotic fluid and fetal cells.
- Chorionic villus sampling: Cells from the fetal portion of the placental wall are sampled through a vacuum tube.
- These can be used for karyotyping, genetic testing, and other procedures
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview