X^2+bx+c trinomial math flashcards
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Steps to factor trinomials
Use example below:
- 1. T chart
- 2. Factor "c" c goes under products
- Find all factors of "c" or in this case, 18(1,18,2,9,3,6)
- 3. Add factor pairs together in chart, (1+18,2+9,3+6)when they add up to "b"(in this case, 11), you have your two numbers, end up with (x+2)(x+9) can be reversed due to communitive property of multiplication
- 8"c":(-1)(-8) added together is -9
- (-2)(-4) added together is -6 (hint: this is right)
- These are the only combinations. Note that -2 added to -4 is equal to -6, which is the "b."
- So, your answer will look like:
- (x+(-2))(x+(-4)) Or, when simplified, (x-2)(x-4)
Solve for x
- Factor into (x-3)(x+6)=0
- So x is equal to 3 or -6
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview