Chap. 11- Modern Atomic Theory
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- - λ(lambda)
- - the distance between 2 consecutive wave peaks
- - ν
- - the # of waves that pass a specific point in 1 sec.
speed of light
equation for speed of light
are directly/inversely proportional?
- -Plank's constant
Energy is measured by
What equation connects energy to frequency?
What equation connects enery to lambda?
are _______ proportional
- - n= the orbit in which the electron falls on
- - allows us to calculate the wavelengths of the lines in the visible spectrum
What did Bohr conlude from Balmer's equation?
- e's orbit the nucleus at a fixed distance and the orbit's has a dixed energy
- must absorb a fix amount of energy to tranfer to the next orbit
- thinks like it is like a solar system
color from lvl 3 to lvl 2
color from lvl 4 to lvl 2
color from lvl 5 to lvl 2
When electrons falls into level 2 from any orbit. it will ALWAYS fall in to the _______ wavelengths
fall into lvl 1---->
fall into lvl 5---->
- only certain values are allowed
- orbits can only be in a certain fixed postitions
- tells us size and energy
- allowed values: 1,2,3,4,5.....
- 2nd azimothal QN
- tells us shape
- allowed values: 0.......n-1
- can hold 2 electrons
- two nodes don't touch
- a place of zero probability of finding an electron
- can hold 6 electrons
- double dumbells
- can hold 10 e's
- nest of eggs
- double dumbells
- can hold 14 e's
- tells us orientation of the orbitals with the respect to axes
- - magnectic QN
- allowed values: -l......0......+l
orbital energy diagram
in lowest to increasing enegy level
column 1 & 2: QN?
column 13-18: QN?
p block except He which is in S block
those seperatee bottom electrons: QN?
f block except Thorium and Cesium
Abreviated written electronic configuration
labled to prededing noble gas and the number of electrons (including the element from) to take to go to noble gas
corre. to Ionization energy, going down a family....
less energy required to lose electron to gaseous state
corre. to Ionization energy, going across a series from left to right....
generally increases because are nonmetals-less reactive
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview