Physiology: Body Systems
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Structures for the integumentary system?
hair, skin, sense receptors, nail and oil glands
what's the function for the integumentary system?
- -regulation of body temperature
- -synthesis of hormones and chemicals
- -serves as a sense organ
structures for the skeletal system
- -bones which are divided into two parts
what are the two parts which the bone is divided into?
the axial skeleton and the appendicular skeleton.
what's the fucntion of the skeletal system?
- -movement due to cross joints.
- -storage of minerals
- -blood formation
- -supports the body
- -protects the body parts
structures of the muscular system?
- 1. visceral
- 2. involuntary
- 3. smooth
- 4. Skeletal
what are the functions for the visceral, involuntary and smooth muscles?
- -visceral: guts
- -involuntary: you don't have to think about it
- -smooth: looks smooth
whatare the functions for the skeletal, voluntary, straited and cardiac muscles?
- -skeletal: provides body movement.
- -voluntary: you need to think about it
- -cardiac: acquires an intrensic beat
what are the functions for the muscle system?
- -maintains body posture and tone
- -production of body heat
what are the structures for the endocryne system
- -pituitary gland
- -pineal gland
function of hypothalmus?
- -links between brain and pituitary gland.
- -controls emotions
fucntion of pituitary gland
secretes HGH hormone
fucntion of the pineal gland
-senses light in dark areas and produces melatonin
what does melatonin do and what happens if you lack it and what does it produce?
melatonin helps sleep. Lack causes s.a.d which is seasonal adjusted disorder. It produces melatosites and causes the color in our skin.
purpose of thyroid
- -produces thyroxine which regulated metabolism.
- -produces calcitonin which regulates calcium in your blood. (takes calcium from blood into the bone.)
purpose of parathyroid?
produces parathyroid hormone which takes calcium from bone into the blood.
purpose of adrenal (kidneys)
- -produces epinephrine (adrenaline)
- -has the ability to use glucose and increases heart/respiration.
purpose of pancreas
purpose of ovaries and testes
- -estrogen: female sex hormone.
- -progesterone: pregnancy hormone which keeps a woman pregnant if they're pregnant.
what's the function of the endocryne system?
- secretes hormones into the blood
- communication (slow and long duration)
- integration / control to maintain homeostasis.
what is the feedback loop?
nervous system -> endocrine system -> targets the cells -> action takes place -> nervous system....
structures of the cardiovascular system?
what do the blood vessels include?
- -arteries (takes blood away from the heart)
- -veins (returns blood back to the heart)
what's the fucntion of the cardiovascular system?
-transportation of oxygen, wastes, nutrients, immune system
structures for the lymphatic system
- -lymph nodes
- -lymph vessels
purpose of the thymus?
makes lymphocytes which are white blood cells
purpose of the spleen?
located in left side under rib cage. used for defense.
function of the lymphatic system?
immune system which is a response to foreign antigens
structure of the urinary system?
where are the kidneys lcated at and what are they connected to?
- located to the right at the base of the ribs.
- connected to the ureters which connect to the urinary bladders.
what's the function of the urinary system
- -cleans the blood by going through the kidneys
- -keeps electrolytes balances
- -water balance
the nervous system has two sub divisions. what are they?
- -central nervous system
- -peripheral nervous system
what does the central nervous system include?
- cerebrum: big thoughts
- cerebellum: coordination for muscles
what does the peripheral nervous system include?
function of the nervous system?
structures of respiratory system
- -lungs: alveoli gas exchange takes place
function: exchange of gases
What are the structures for the digestive system?
- -small intestines : everything is broken down and absorbed
- -large intestines: water is reabsorbed and is compacted
- -anal canal
what does the liver do and which system does it belong to?
makes bile which emulsifies fat. located: digestive system
pancreas purpose and which system?
- makes pancreatic juice which helps speed up digestion.
- digestive system
gall bladder purpose and location
stores the bile and digestive system
what's the function of the digestive system?
- -mechanical & chemical breakdown of food
- -absorption of nutrients
- -elimination of solid undigested waste
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview