The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is language?
Language is a system of communication using sounds or symbols that allow one to express feelings, thoughts, or experiences
What are Psycholinguistics?
Psychological study of language to discover the processes by which humans acquire and process language
Four goals of psycholinguistics
- 1. Comprehension
- 2. Acquisition
- 3. Production
- 4. Representation
Speech sounds in linguistics are called phones
- Consists of a phone or group of phones. If you change the phoneme you change the word.
- Phones in a phoneme can be swapped without changing the meaning of a word. CK vs K or Cat vs Kat
- Smallest unit of language that has meaning.
- Free morphemes: Truck (1) Bedroom (2)
- Bound morphemes: un in unheard (2)
Define: Phonetic Restoration Effect
The brain is able to fill in the blanks in phonemes when other sounds is present, which allows speech in loud areas to be understood.
Define: Lexical Ambiguity
Words sometimes have more than one meaning, but context cleans up ambiguity