Unit 3 AP Euro Ch. 14
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
17th century scientists
The Ptolemaic System
- The standard explanation of the place of the earth in the heavens combined the mathmatical astronomy of Ptolemy, contained in his work entitled the Almagest, with the physical cosmology of Aristotle.
- the planet moved uniformly about a small circle, and the center of the epicycle moved uniformly about a larger circle, with the earth at or near its center.
The Copernican System
- Copernicus's On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres challenged the Ptolemaic picture in the most conservative manner possible.
- Heliocentric model
The Tychonic System
Heliocentric and Geocentric combined
- Danish astronomer
- He supplied a lot of recorded data to the german astronomer Johannes Kepler.
- He was a convinced copernican and a more consistently rigorous advocate of a heliocentric model than Copernicul himself had been.
- Kepler set forth the first astronomical model that actually portrayed motion.
- His model had an elliptical movement.
- He published The Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy, better known as Principia Mathematica.
- Brought up the idea of gravity.
- Made telescope from Dutch trinkets
- Starry Messenger
- Letters on sunspots
- Moons of Jupiter know as the "Medici stars"
"institutions of sharing"
- Allowed information and ideas associated with the new science to be gathered, exchanged, and debated.
- Royal Society of London
- Academy of Experiments
- French Academy of Science
- Berlin Academy of Science
- Observations Upon Experimental Philosophy
- Grounds of Natural Philosophy
- Description of a New World, Called the Blazing World
Emilie du Chatelet
Translated Newton's Principia into French
- Father of Empiricism
- Inductive Reasoning
- Novum Organum
- Men of Experiment & Dogmas
- Discourse on Method
- Deductive Reasoning
- "I think therefore I am"
- Dualism- things of the body & things of the mind
- Two Treatisies of Government
- First Treatisie- cleared philosophical decks
- Second Treatise- Limited government
- Letter Concerning Toleration- Seperation of Church & State
- Essay Concerning Human Understanding
- Tabula Rosa
Pope Urban VIII
- Friend of Galileo
- Lets Galileo keep writing
- Pascal's Wager- In best interest to keep faith in God so when you die you still reach salvation.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview