- includes several similar
- rhetorical devices, all involving a grammatically correct linkage (or
- together) of two or more parts of speech by another part of speech.
- examples of zeugmatic usage would include one subject with two (or
- verbs, a verb with two (or more) direct objects, two (or more) subjects
- with one verb, and so forth. The main benefit of the linking is that it
- shows relationships between ideas and actions more clearly.
Pride opresseth humility; hatred love; cruelty compassion. --Peacham
Fred excelled at sports; Harvey at eating; Tom with girls.
Alexander conquered the world; I, Minneapolis.