Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
the expression of racist attitudes or behaviors by individual people
- First used by political commentator walter lippman
- "oversimplified picture of the world, one that satifies our need to see our social environment as a more understandable and mangeable place than it really is"
- overgeneralized belief that a certain trait, behavior, or attitude characterizes all members of some identifiable group
the unfair treatment of people based on some social characteristic
- Whites enjoy this luxury
- "having no color"
- White is rarely used as an adjective it is assumed white unless otherwise stated
general terms applied to diverse subgroupsthat are assumed to have something in common
i.e. Native Americans, Asian Americans, or hispanic and latino
consists of established laws, customs, and practices that systematically reflect and produce racial inequalities in society, whether or not the individuals maintaining these practices have racist intentions
governmental policy developed in the early 1960's that requires organizations to draft a written plan on how they will seek out members of minority groups and women for educational or occupational positions from which they had previously been excluded.
skin color prejudice within an ethnoracial group, most notably between light-skinned and dark-skinned blacks
sense of community derived from the cultural heritage shared by a category of people with a common ancestry
form of racism expressed subtly and indirectly through feelings of discomfort, uneasiness, and fear, which motivate avoidance rahter than blatant discrimination
belief that humans are subdivided into distinct groups that are different in their social behavior and innate capacities and that can be ranked as superior or inferior
category of people labeled and treated as similar because of allegedly common biological traits, such as skin color, texture of hair, and shape of eyes
rigidly held, unfavorable attitudes, beliefs, and feelings about members of different group based on a social characteristic such as race, ethnicity, or gender
South African apartheid
- four race categories
"one drop rule"
one drop of black blood makes someone black
racist term for marriage or sexual relations between a man and a woman of different races
Three primary races on the 2010 census
- american indian
denying services by neighborhood of housing loans, supermarket placement, pizza delivery
example of institutional racism
Example of institutional racism
Examples of institutional racism
- drug sentencing (100 to 1 rule)
- cosmetology licensing laws
- hiring through existing social/ professional networks
an unearned package of unearned assets that I can count cashing in each day, but about which I was 'meant' to remain oblivious
Why do whites make more than blacks?
- starting with less wealth, social and cultural capital
- resulting in different work patterns
- rising income inequality exacerbates the gap
blacks have a greater chance of growing up in a female-headed household
whites have an average higher levels of education
whites have on average higher levels of family wealth