Therm Sec 13
Card Set Information
Therm Sec 13
THRM358 SAIT CLT2
These do not cover the entire section yet! I will update them when I have them finished
1. Define crystalline solid
Solids with highly regular arrangement of their components.
2. Define lattice
3D system of points designating the centers of the components that make up the substance.
3. Define glass
Amorphous solid made when silica is mixed w other compounds, heated above melting point, then cooled rapidly.
4. Define amorphous solid.
Solids w considerable disorder in their structures
5. Define unit cell
Smallest repeating unit in a crystal lattice
6. What kind of bonds and physical properties does Fe have?
Metallic - high conductivity and malleable.
7. Why kind of bonds and physical properties does SiO2 have?
Covalent - non-conducting, high melting pt.
8. What kind of bonds and physical properties does Ne have?
Van der Waals - gas at room temp, weak bonding.
9. What kind of bonds and physical properties does KI have?
Ionic - non-conducting, high melting pt
10. Which of the three following crystal systems has the higher symmetry? Tetragonal, cubic, monoclinic.
11. Which of the crystal systems has the lowest symmetry? Tetragonal, cubic, monoclinic?
12. List 3 crystal defects.
Kink atom, adatom, vacancy