The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Global Warming is
Climate change/observation that the earth's temperature has increased by ~.8degrees celsius in the last 100 years.
significant and persistent change in statistical distribution of the state of the atmosphere or ocean
A manifestation of climate change is:
Difference between climate and weather is
-Clmate is the average state of the atmosphere or ocean, climate is what you expect, while weather is what you get.
- weather is the state of atmosphere or ocean at a point in time. However weather is chaotic and cannot be predicted more than 2 weeks into the future.
What is the Global Average Temperature
it is a single temperature calculated by averaging earth's surface temperatures from stations all accross earth.
departure from longterm average.
Warmest period of last 100 years
Signs of global warming
- -decline in mountain glaciers/snow cover
- -Reduction in Northern Hemisphere sea ice.
- -troposhere warming, stratosphere cooling.
- -increase in water content.
- -Sea level rise.
- - Higher energy/temperature content in oceans
IMpacts of climate change
More intense storms, drought, heat wave, ocean acidification, coral bleaching
Loss of biodiversity
this is also an impact of climate change - thinner ice implies fewer places to rest and forces calves and their mothers to swim farther north. This exerts energy which puts them at a greater risk for starvation or predation for the calves.
Has the global warming been uniform overall? Can all climate changes be attributed to global warming.