Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Leydig cells secrete:
Sertoli cells do what?
- support sperm development.
- Secrete fluid into lemen of seminiferous tubles to support sperm development and transport.
- provide nutrients for developing sperm
- secerete paracrines that stimulate spermatogenesis.
secrete alkaline fluid with fructose, enzymes and prostaglandins
secretes citrate and enzymes
secrete viscous fluid with mucus
FSH in males stimulates
LH in males stimulates
Androgen (testosterone) secretion
androgens in males does what 6 things
- stimulates spermatogenesis
- promote dev. of 2nd sex characteristics in puberty and maintains these in adult live.
- increase sex drive.
- promote protein synthesis in skeletal msucle. stimulate growth hormone secretion which permits bone growth during adolescence.
- promote dev. of male reproductive structures during embryonic live.
Sperm Head consists of...
- enzymes necessary for fertilization
Sperm midpeice consists of
mitochondria to provide "power" to tail movement
whiplike movements to propel sperm
What are the phases of Spermatogonium
spermatogonia-->primary spermatocytes-->secondary spermatocytes-->spermatids-->spermatozoa
what are the characteristis of the female reproductive system
- Cycle changes in activity: menstural cycle
- Restricted periods of fertility: ovulation
- Limited gamete production: Pool established at birth.
what are the female reproductive organs
- Gonads: Ovaries
- Reproductive tract: uterus, uterine tubes, vagina
- External Genitalia: Vulva
Ovaries are the site of...
ovaries consist of...
connective tissue with follicles
ovaries are separte from...
- contain one ovum
- develope in the ovary
- start as primordial follicle (oocyte aka ovum)and granulosa cells
- later in development, some granulosa cells become theca cells
granulosa cells are the target cells of ___ and ___hormones and secrete ____ in response
estrogen and FSH and secrete chemical messengers in response
granulosa cells secrete inhibin that provides...
negative feedback to FSH secretion
granulsosa cells transport nutrients to ___ through ___
oocytes through gap junctions
granulosa cells also secrete ____
The uterus is the site of fetal development and consists what there sections
- body: Upper portion
- Cervix: canal leading to the vagina
- Cervix + vagina: Birth canal
The wall of the uterus is made up of...
- Perimetrium (outter layer)
- epithelial cells and connective tissue
- Myometrium (Middle layer) this is the thickest layer
- smooth muscle
- Endometrium: (inner layer)
- epithelial cells, connective tissue,
- numerous glands
Uterine tubes (Fallopian tubes or oviducts) are
transport ova from ovaries to uterus. site of fertilization.
menstrul cycle includes these two things...
ovarian cycle and uterine cycle.
Menstrual cycle is caused by changes in __ & ______ concentrations.
Estrogen & Progesterone
Follicular Phase lasts for about____days and includes ________ to _________.
14 days; menstruation to ovulation
luteal phase lasts for exactly _____days and includes _______ to before_________.
14 days; ovulation to before menstruation
hormonal control of follicular phase
FSH and estrogens stimulate follicle growth and development.
LH surge triggers ______
ovulation and development of the the corpus luteium of the gluteal phase.
profliferian phases is when the uterus
prepares for the fertelized egg
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview