Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Each channel has a cutaneous region
- Linked to organs
- Promote the smooth flow of qi and blood in meridians
- Regulate function of zang/fu organ
What is a 7 star needle?
- 7 short needles embedded in round space all in one length.
- The handle is 5-6 in long
How do you use a 7 star needle?
- Clean the area really well (betadine).
- Tap the skin with the needle (either hard or slow), which might cause bleeding
- Used on UB channel
What is a plum blossom needle?
- 5 needle at the base
- 1 foot long handle
How do you use a plum blossom needle?
- Used on paravertebral muscles
- Tapping the skin
- Tx is daily or every other day: 10-15 tx over 2-3 weeks for chronic dx.
- No tapping on low abdomen on pregnancy, traumas or acute infectious diseases
Plum blossom needle is good for:
- Nervous system problems, skin diseases, HA, dizziness, gynecological problems
- Not for very young, very old or very weak patients.
What are intra-dermal needles?
- Needle (look like earseeds) that are tapped in and patient goes home with it.
- There are two types: thumb tack & grain-like
What is a thumb tack intra-dermal needle?
- Commonly used for ear
- Keep area clean
- Needle is 0.3 cm long
What is a grain-like intra-dermal needle?
- Looks like a grain (1 cm long)
- Placed in parts of the body
- NOT in joints or parts that move
What are intra-dermal needles used for?
- Chronic or painful dx
- Use 1-2 needles at a time
- SUMMER --> short duratin due to sweating, dust & air contact (don't want it to be infected)
- WINTER --> longer period of time
- NEVER use on skin ulcers or infected areas
Info about Acupuncture E-Stim:
- Time saving
- Stimulation is objective pattern
- Tx time is 10-20 min, as long as 45 min
- Need 2 points to make the circuit
What are the 2 frequencies of E-Stim?
- Regular: for p!/spams, EXCESS pattern
- Irregular: for numbness/paralysis, DEFICIENCY pattern
Cautions of E-Stim:
- Strong stimulation might cause fainting (so lay patient down before starting tx)
- Never do E-Stim on expired or used to do moxa on because they easily break
- Never cross the heart w/2 heads (-) and (+)
Contraindication of E-Stim
- HT dx, pacemaker
- Don't do E-Stim on silver or gold needles (weaker needles and may electrolyze (toxin) to patient)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview