Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
idea or concept of incorporation the odd and the newly composed music that incorporate uses actual/previous music in it
music style since 1945 (ww ii)
- -chance music
- -electronic music
- -quotation music
chance music (aleaotric)
type of music that is written so that each time it is performed, you get something different.
artist connected w/ this style
wrote many "pieces" of aleatoric or chance music
- french composer
- great innovauetors of electronic music
- 1958 world's fair in brussels
- poeme electronique (electronic poem)
developed in the mid1960's reaction to atonal /12tone/other non-traditional music
minimalistic music & ostinato.
steady pulse, clear tonality and insistent repetition of short melodic pattern called: ostinato.
very tonal (traditional sounding harmny
trance-like or hypnotic, influenced by indian music
types of music
- Expressionism (atonal and 12-tone)- Schoenberg
- Aleatoric Music (chance Music)-Cage
- Quotation Music-zwilich
greater variety of tone color, creation of new instruments and combinations, greater use of percussion instruments
chromatic (extra notes), these continue and greater use of dissonance. use other scales developed new method of creating harmony using all notes.
- new and diff. chords fourth and poly chords
- new harmonic systems including 12-tone
greater use of rhythm and meter/changing and multiple meters
~emphasises tone color, atmosphere and fluidity
french composer we associate with this style.
whole tone scale
prelude to the afternoon of a faun
style of music whisch uses harsh dissonances,driving rhythms and accents to create a driving, primitive and rustic sound
- russian composer
- commissioned by the russian ballet to compose music for three ballets
- stravinsky came to the US
- the rite of sprin -pagen sacrifical rites-huhan sacrifies
- rhythms, harsh dissonances accent
a short pattern rhythm or melody or both is repeated incessantly at the same pitch.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview