Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What are Lead Factors?
- A method used to enhance the group average milk production per day by formulating lactation rations to facilitate a higher milk production level than the average of the latation group.
- Feeding to the greatest producing cow
What is the Lead Factor for a 1 group system?
30% lead Factor or 1.3
What is the Lead Factor for a 2 group system?
20% lead factor or 1.2
What is the Lead Factor for a 3 group system?
10% Lead Factor or 1.1
Draw the the Lactation curve, the dry matter intake curve and th body wight loss and gain curve of a dairy cow. diagram each curve and explain the significance of the curves during the three phases of the lactation period.
Name the six phases of a producing dairy cow during a calendar year.
- Phase 1: Far-off, 1st 45+ days dry
- Phase 2: Close-up, Last 14-21 days dry
- Phase 3: Fresh, 0 -14 days of Lactation
- Phase 4: Peak Milk, 14 - 70 days of lactation
- Phase 5: Peak DMI, 70 - 140 days of lactation
- Phase 6: Late Lactation, 140 - 305 days of lactation
On Lactation curve chart what phase startes at month 0?
Phase 3: Fresh, 0-14 days
On the lactation curve chart what is the second phase, what is its begininning month and ending month?
- Phase 4 Peak Milk 14 -70 days
- Starts middle of month 1
- ends just before month 3
On the Lactation curve chart what is the third phase, when does it start and finish?
- Phase 5 Peak DMI, 70 - 140
- start just before third month
- ends just before 7th month
On the Lactation curve chart what is the fourth phase, when does it start and finish?
- Phase 4 late Lactation, 140 - 305 days
- start just before the 7th month
- finishes just before the 10th month
On the Lactation curve chart what is the fifth phase, when does it start and finish?
- Phase 1 Far-off, 1st 45+ days dry
- starts just before the 10th month
- ends at the 11th month
On the Lactation curve chart what is the six than final phase, when does it start and finish?
- Phase 2 Close-up, last 14 - 21 days dry
- starts month 11
- Ends month 12
During phase 4 Peak milk what month does production peak on the Lactation curve chart?
Month 2, same time body weight loss turn into gain
During phase 5 "peak DMI" what month does intake peak on the lactation curve chart?
During phase 4 "peak milk" 14-70 days when does body weight begin to increase again on the Lactation curve chart?
Month 2, same time as milk production peaks
During which period of production cycle do peak milk yeilds occur?
Phase 4 "Peak milk" 14-70 days
During which period of the production cycle do peak dry matter intakes occur?
Phase 5 "Peak DMI" day 70-140
Body wight decreases to the largest extent during the first 70 days of lactation. Why?
- Negative Energy Balance
- due to depressed DMI or greater nutrient requirements for milk production in early lactation