Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How do we achieve retention?
- Proper contouring of polished (inaglio) surface to enhance neuromuscular control
- Establish intimate adaptation of tissue surface to denture to maximize adhesion and cohesion effects
- Establish a peripheral seal to maximize the effect of atmospheric pressure (suction) to oppose dislodgement
What is the purpose of the posterior palatal seal?
- Enhance retention and maintain the peripheral seal of the maxillary denture base by compensating for
- 1)polymerization shrinkage
- 2) Minor denture base functional movements
What is the vibrating line? Where is it relative to the denure base?
- The junction between the mobile and non-mobile portions of the soft palate
- You can see the tissues moving with the 'ah' sound
- The maxillary denture base ends just anterior (1mm) to the vibrating line
What Constitues the House Classifications?
The greater the functional movement of the soft palate the less favorable house classification
How do we transfer the vibrating line to the master cast?
We develop a 'bead seal' by modifying the cast with a small rounded instrument
What is a Svenson seal?
- A modification of the bead seal where the whole region is carved out of the cast
- Much harder to duplicate, compresses more tissue
What are the fovea palatina?
two small dots near the junction of the soft palate
How deep do we want the bead seal to be near delicate tissues?
No more than .75mm near these areas
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview