Marine Bio: History
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what did erathosthenes do?
calculates the circumference of Earth
what's Ptolemy's world atlas?
helped to establish bounderies, included longitude and latitude...
what did the vikings do?
explored the atlantic and settles in Greenlandand Iceland. Made considerable improvements in ship design
what did the arabs do
gained more knowledge of winds and currents and established trade routes in the Indian Ocean
- very isolates
- -voyages were prevelent
- driven by nation pride
- -more land, golds and goods (spices)
- led 4 expeditions to find better routes to the east indies.
- landed in the carribeans and thought he was in india
mission was to sail around the world. Later killed by the philipiines.
Sir Francis Drake
- funded by queen elizabeth.
- ataacked spanish vessels and stole gold and goods.
- queen knighted him afterwards
credited with the european discovery of hawaii
what's the 1870 challenger expedition
british scientists embarked on an expedition to learn about the ocean.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview