Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what are the main facts and functions of the integumentary system?
- barrier against microorganisms
- protects underlying structures
- prevents body from dehydration
- maintains and regulates body temperature
- receptor for sensations of touch heat pressure and pain
- disposal of waste products
what 5 organs are involved in the integumentary system?
- hair or coat
- sweat glands sebacious glands
main facts and functions of hait and whiskerS?
- forms physical barrier betwen enviroment and skin
- helps create hemostasis
- 3 types of hair;primary, secondary, tactile
main facts and functions of skin
- body heat is lose through skin by radiation, conduction,convection and evaporation
- two layers;dermis and epidermis
main facts and functions of the dermis
- made up of dense fibrous connective tissue containing blood vessels and nerves
- the subq layers under the dermis is called the hypodermis or subcutis
where is thin skin found?
ear pinna, axillary, and perianal and inguinal regions
where is thick skin found?
footpads dorsal neck, thorax, rump and on base of tail
what ae the main facts and functions of the sweatglands and sebacious glands?
- these are excretory organs of the skin that cool the body
- apocrine sweat glands are found thoughout the body
- the eccrine sweat glands are found in the footpads and between nostrils
- sebaceous glands secreate sebum which lubricates the skin and hair
main facts and functions of nails and hooves
- trimming the nail claw or hoof to far is called cutting the quick and results in bleeding and pain
- dewclaws in dogs are removed at 3-5 days old
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview