The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- The front; before
- Example: The naval is on the anterior (ventral) surface of the trunk
The belly side (equivalent to anterior when referring to the human body)
- The back; behind
- Example: The shoulder blade is locted posterior (dorsal) to the rib cage.
The back (equivalent to posterior when referring to the human body)
- Above; at a higher level (in the human body, toward the head)
- Example: The nose is superior to the chin
- Below; at a lower level
- Example: The knees are inferior to the hips
- Toward an attached base
- Example: The thigh is proximal to the foot: moving proximally from the wrist brings you to the elbow.
- away from an attached base
- Example: the fingers are distal to the wrist: moving distally from the elbow brings you to the wrist.
- toward the bodys longitudinal axis
- Example: The medical surfaces of the thighs may be in contact: moving medially from the arm across the chest surface brings you to the sternum.
- away from the bodys longitudinal axis
- Example: The thigh articulates with the lateral surface of the pelvis; moving laterally from the nose brings you to the eyes.
- farther from the body surface
- Example: The bone of the thigh is deep to the surrounding skeletal muscles.
- at, near, or relatively close to the body surface
- Example: The scalp is superficial to the skull