Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Electron Configuration: 1s1
- Most abundant chemical substance
- Most hydrogen is employed near its production site, with the two largest uses being fossil fuel processing (e.g., hydrocracking) and ammonia production, mostly for the fertilizer market.
- Noble Gas
- Electron Configuration: 1s2
- - Most helium in the universe is helium-4, and is believed to have been formed during the Big Bang.
- Helium is used in cryogenics, particularly in the cooling of superconducting magnets, with the main commercial application being in MRI scanners.
- Because it is lighter than air, airships and balloons are inflated with helium for lift.
- Alkali Metal
- Electron Configuration: [He] 2s1
- Highly reactive and flammable.
- Lithium and its compounds have several industrial applications, including heat-resistant glass and ceramics, high strength-to-weight alloys used in aircraft, lithium batteries and lithium-ion batteries. These uses consume more than half of lithium production.
- Trace amounts of lithium are present in all organisms. The element serves no apparent vital biological function, since animals and plants survive in good health without it. Nonvital functions have not been ruled out.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview