Essential questions (Judaism and Christianity)
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Judaism - Human Condition
God created humans in his image and endowed them with free will, which leads to a constant choice between yetzer ha-ra (bad inclinations) and yetzer ha-tov (good inclinations).
Judaism - Where are we going?
Judaism emphasizes observance in this life rather than elaborating on the hereafter. There is, however, the expectation of a Messianic age of peace and justice for humankind in this world and a belief in Olam Ha-Ba the world to come).
Judaism - How do we get there?
- We accomplish this through living a life in accordance with God’s will and in readiness for the coming of the Messianic Age. This will be achieved by:
- • being the House of Israel or Chosen People
- • obeying all the mitzvot (commandments) of the Covenant that God has revealed in the Torah
- • living according to the Shema.
Christianity - Human condition
God created humankind in God’s own image. God gave humans free will but, through disobedience, humans are separated from God by original sin.
Christianity - Where are we going?
- • To heaven: eternal union with God
- • To purgatory: a staging post between this world and heaven
- • To hell: separation from God
Christianity - How do we get there?
- • believing in the presence of God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- • believing in Jesus Christ as Saviour
- • living by the teachings of Jesus
- • participating in the sacraments, as appropriate to the denomination.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview