Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What are the goals of the social change model?
- Promote self-knowledge & understanding of one's interests, talents & values
- ↑ leadership competence to cause pos cultural change in institution, community & society
What leadership theory utilizes autocratic or democratic methods depending on the situation?
Leadership Continuum Theory
What are 4 weaknesses of the leadership continuum theory?
- Leader must be gd judge of ppl & situation
- Assumes leader has all info
- Disregards internal or external factors
- Oversimplifies complexity by making 2-dimensional
Mgmt Theory ___ utilizes close supervision; concern about natural lack of productivity & need to push workers
Mgmt Theory __ learns to seek responsibility & a small % of workers intelligence is never utilized.
Mgmt theory ___ says mgr remains w/company for life; work & social life close; togetherness, teamwork, resistance to change & overcome w/training.
What 3 theories does situational leadership follow?
- Leadership Continuum
- Path Goal
- Results Based
What are 5 basic components of Behavioral Leadership?
- Basic Leadership Style
- 2 Dimensional Leadership style
- Contingency leadership theory
- Contemporary leadership styles
- Theories X,Y,Z
What type of leadership is value driven & utilizes values to make decisions, create policies etc?
Principle Centered Leadership
What are the 5 types of power?
___ power is based on the leaders ability to punish NOT necessarily on respect & trust.
____ power is based on a desire to identify with & respect another; referent/personal pwr.
___ power comes fr organizations structure; shared values; acceptance of social structure.
___ power is based on knowledge & expertise; information pwr.
What are the 3 basic types of leadership?
The type of leadership that includes employees in decision making; requires least amt supervision; works where knowledge & skill more important than rank.
The type of leadership where the leader tells subordinates what to do & allows for little input fr workers is called ____ leadership. This is good in emergencies but not in day to day activities.
Describe the Laissez-Faire style of leadership.
- Workers make all decisions w/no supervision
- Good for day to day functions but NOT at emergencies
The leadership theory that is based on personal attributes multiplied by results is ___ ___ theory.
Results Based Theory
The success of results based theory is based on what 4 ideas?
- Balance of demands of employees, org, customers & investors
- Connecting results to org strategy
- Conforming to long & short term goals
- Support in org NOT leaders gain
What leadership model involves workers in accomplishing a goal & is based on the relationship of leaders, followers, system & goals?
Alpha Leadership Model
What are the 4 key elements of the Alpha leadership model?
What are 3 postulates of the Alpha Leadership model?
- Anticipating trends/patterns that may indicate problems
- Aligning/build relationships
- Acting 80/20 - 80% of effort on 20% of tasks
What separates a model from a theory?
Models have been proven thru application where theories haven't
What are the 4 basic leadership models?
- Basic leadership
- Situational Leadership
- Social Change
- Alpha Leadership
Situation (contingency) should be matched to leadership style based on what 3 things?
- Relationship between leaders & workers
- Structured or unstructured tasks?
- Is it a strong or weak leader
What are the 4 Rs of the situational leadership model?
- R1 low ability/unwilling
- R2 High ability/low willingness
- R3 low ability/high willingness
- R4 high ability/very willing
What are the 3 critical values in the situational leadership model?
- Individual - consciousness of self & others
- Group - common purpose, collaboration, civil controversy
- Community - citizenship
What are the 4 actions of the leadership theory continuum?
The tell action of the leadership continuum theory means. . .
Making a decision w/no input
The sell action of the leadership continuum theory means. . .
making a decision & then selling it
The consult action of the leadership continuum theory has 3 parts. They are?
- Present ideas & welcome questions
- Present tentative decision
- Present probes, ask for suggestions, make decision based on input
Two Dimensional leadership include ___- centered & ___ - centered models.
- Job centered
- Employee centered
4 characteristics of a contemporary mgr are?
Individuals w/strong personalities that inspire loyalty & create enthusiastic vision are considered to be ____ leaders.
Individuals that work w/change; challenge employees to reach full potential & create satisfaction & growth are said to be ____ leaders. These individuals are rare.
Transactional leader ____ for ____.
Reward for performance
An individual's who's leadership starts at the top & extends down having full faith in the organization & whom employees fail to question obvious mistakes are ___ leaders.
What are the 5 leadership levels?
- Highly capable individual - makes productive contributions
- Contributing team member - contributes ind capabilities
- Competent Mgr - Organizes ppl & resources
- Effective leader - Person who pursues clear & compelling vision
- Executive - Builds greatness
Directing, overseeing or controlling activities & behaviors of employees is the definition of ___.
Controlling, monitoring or directing a project, program or situation is the definition of ____.
Controlling, directing, conducting & guiding through personality traits or characteristics that MOTIVATE employees is the definition of ____.
Which mgmt theory looks at the subordinate & the environment to determine whether to manage in a directive, supportive, participative or achievement style?
What are 6 characteristic of command presence?
What are 5 characteristics of leaders?
- See opportunities
- IDs challenges
- Plans for success
- Builds Trust