The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
NFPA ____ is the Standard for Fire Service Instructor Professional IQualifications.
First & primary to the success of an Organization Are the ____ ___ ____ that are usually presented by the organizations training staff.
Formal Training Courses
What contributions does the old adage "this is how we do it in the real world" often used by Co officers make?
FF injuries & fatalities
NFPA ____ is the Standard for Providing Emergency Services to the Public.
Co Officers MUST ensure the Co level training meets the standards of what 2 entities?
The Organization & what is taught in recruit school
What 3 steps should a Co Officer follow when designing a training session?
- Determine type of service, skill or task that must be performed
- Compare new performance level w/current one
- Design training that will raise knowledge, skills and abilities
What are the four steps in the "Four Step Method of Instruction" model?
The preparation step in the 4 Step Model includes what?
- Introducing the topic
- Gaining Attn
- Stating objectives
- Instructor Self-preparation
What should a Co Officer do to prepare for a training session?
- Read lesson plan
- Gather any addl info needed
- Collect training aids
- Practice skills to be taught
What are the 5 types of presentation methods?
- Illustrated Lecture
Delivering info via an orderly, sequential outline is done during what part of the 4 step teaching model?
The ____ step in the 4 step teaching model provides opportunities for learning through activities, exercises, discussions, work-grps, skill practices, practical training evolutions & similar training activities.
What step during the "4 step teaching model" does the most learning take place?
During the ____ step in the "4 step teaching model" students demonstrate how much they have learned through a written, oral or practical exam.
Co Officers may alter a lesson plan but NEVER alter the what?
4 Step method of instruction
What is it that describes the level of performance that is required to perform a specific job?
Job Performance Requirements
Groups of similar jobs are organized into a category or duty called ___ ___ ___.
Human Resources Mgmt
If a Co Officer is simply told to make a presentation about a topic, what 3 resources should be utilized in order to complete this task?
- A model lesson plan
- Assistance of training division
T or F; Use of a lesson plan guarantees fulfillment of objectives.
Why would modification of a lesson plan be necessary(5)?
- Lack of presentation time
- Lack of audiovisual aids
- Lesson plan outdated or not accurate
- Audience may not respond to methods outlined by plan
- Enviro condos may prevent presentation to be done properly
B/f beginning a presentation Co Officer should ensure that the space is appropriate in what 5 ways?
- Seating arrangement is right
- Distractions removed
- Lighting proper w/ no glare
- Easy access to aids, props etc
- Rm temp is comfortable
What are some delivery method considerations?
- Use lesson plan
- Speak to students/ make eye contact
- Use vocal variation
- Summarize key pts / concepts
- Ask & solicit questions
- Focus on audience, body language, facial expressions
- Utilize related examples
- Motivate by showing material relevance
The ____ teaching format allows interaction between teacher & students & among students.
What term is used to describe the discussion format where the instructor acts as a facilitator & presents a topic to the students?
As a facilitator, the Co Officer's role is to guide a discussion to meet obj's in what 4 ways?
- Keep discussion on topic
- Add pertinent details
- Ask thought-provoking questions
- Analyze conversations to ensure understanding
A ____ is the act of showing how to do something or how something operates or acts.
What are 4 things to prepare for when utilizing the demonstration method of teaching?
- Know what is to be demonstrated & learning obj
- Be proficient in EVERY step
- Acquire equip, ensure it works & arrange for use
- Arrange rm so all can see
1. Link new info w/students current knowledge
2. Explain what will be shown
3. Explain skill importance
4. Demonstrate skill @ normal speed
5. Repeat #4 slowly; explaining each step
6. Repeat #5 while student explains each step
7. Consider video w/lg grp so all can see closely
8. Questions & address misunderstandings
9. Have volunteer complete skill while explaining steps
10. Student practice monitored by instructor
11. Reassemble grp & review procedure
These steps outline what process?
Demonstrating a skill
___ ___ ___ are essential for providing safe & efficient fire & emergency services to the public.
Practical Training Evolutions
What 2 primary requirements to practical training evolutions fulfill?
- Hands on training requirements of NFPA & OSHA
- Application of critical skills learned in classroom
Realistic, practical training evolutions promote ___, ___, ___ & ___ ___.
- Team Spirit
___ training evolutions involve 1-5 students performing a single task that employs only a few skills.
During simple training evolutions when should instructors stop & correct performance errors & weaknesses?
___ training evolutions may involve multiple units, agencies or jurisdictions requiring high levels of cooperation & coordination.
In 2004, the US govt adopted what command model?
What are the 2 advantages to utilizing NIMS-ICS at complex training evolutions?
- Safety & accountability of participants
- Acquaints participants w/ how the sys works
What 5 things should be on a card describing a location that could be used for training?
- Name of owner/representative
- Water supply
- Types of training that could be supported
NFPA ___ is the Standard on FD Occ Safety & Health Program.
NFPA ___ is the Standard for Live Fire Training Evolutions.
What 10 factors contribute to a safe & effective learning experience?
- Learning Objectives
- Resources / Logistics
- Legal Requirements
- Eval / Critiques
NFPA ___ is the Standard on Water Supplies for Suburban & Rural Firefighting
What 3 legal requirements define our training?
- Type of training
- Min amt of time for training
- Eval criteria to determine if training successful
The Co Officer should apply the following guidelines when planning a practical evolution & set desired learning obj's:
- Give participant opportunity to have input & influence final outcome
- Minimize stand around time
- Provide safe staging area for students & viewing area for others
- Maintain suitable span of ctrl
- Assign safety officer as per NFPA 1500
- Ensure prereq's are met
- Have a pos outcome
- Provide summary of what has been learned
- Video if possible
- Provide accurate documentation
What 4 elements are involved in controlling an evolution?
- Supervising - correct skills & safety
- Monitoring - ensure lesson obj's performed & accomplished
- Teaching - Include related or new info when appropriate
- Managing - Apply NIMS-ICS as tho actual incident