Disaster on the Mountain
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Definition: noun;
- 1. a large mass of snow and ice, or of earth and rock, that rapidly slides down a mountainside or over a cliff; 2. a sudden, overwhelming rush, as in “an avalanche of requests”; verb; to come down like an avalanche
- Definition: (noun)
- a sparsely populated rural area far from any settled area; wilderness
- Example sentence: Backcountry
- camping can be a lot of fun, but you really need to plan ahead. Once you’re out
- there, you can’t just pop into the nearest supermarket for more snacks.
- Definition: (noun) a ditch or ravine worn into the earth by running water after rain;
- a gully serves as a natural gutter to help drain excess water after heavy
Example sentence: It hadn’t rained for weeks, and the gully was completely dry.
- Definition: (noun) a large body of ice moving slowly down a slope or valley, or
- spreading outward on a land surface; glaciers are made up of fallen snow that,
- over many years, compresses into ice. Glaciers have sculpted mountains and carved out valleys.
Example sentence: Maine has hundreds of glacial lakes—that is, lakes formed thousands of years ago by melting glaciers.
- Definition: (noun) layers of snow that become massed together, often found in
- mountain regions
Example sentence: When spring arrives, the snowpack will melt.
- Definition: (noun) an area of land that can have specific characteristics (for
- example, rough terrain, rocky terrain, hilly
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview