Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
how does trash go into the ocean?
- nearly 80% of ocean trash starts on land then..
- travel through waterways and sewers
- swept into ocean
which part of the ocean have more trash?
most trash ends up in middle of the sea because of the ocean current which is created by the wind
but most get trapped into ocean's seaweed
how does ocean trash create great ecological harm?
animal deformation is developed when the animals are caught in the trash
what happens when water piles up?
- it creates a gyre!
- it is rotating ocean currents, particularly those involved with large wind movements
area in the middle of the Pacific where all the current pushes the plastics there
Northern Pacific Garbage Patch
Benefits of plastics?
- durable & strong
- resistance to corrosion
- promotes cleaniness
- inert (it doesn't react chemically)
- easy to mold
- easy to manufacture
- easy to manipulate
what is plastic made of?
made of synthetic polymers from oil
plastic has a lot of chemical because?
- additives! such as..
- heat stabilizers
- UV stabilizers
- flame retardants
- antistatic additives
- conductive additives
- biocides (prevent bacteria growth)
plastic can be degrade by light!
plastic is water proof
used to start creating plastic products
why is plastic bad?
- plastic trash is..
- entangles marine life
- mistaken for food
- base for invasive species dispersal
- endangers nursery habitat
- entangles marine equipment
some plastic sinks to the ocean floor which destroys habitat
which countries use the most plastic additives?
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview