The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
explain the egg stage of the flea life cycle
- eggs are produced 24-36 hours after first blood meal
- eggs are laid on host
- eggs are white and oval shaped
- eggs slip off host into enviroment
- eggs hatch within 1-10 days depending on humidity and temperature
explain the larva stage of the flea life cycle
- larvae are slender and white and resemble maggots
- larvae ear organic debris, especially flea dirt
- larvae need high humidity to survive and are sensitive to heat and light
- larvae go through 2 moults or 3 instars in 5-11 days
- larvae produce a sticky cocoon in which they pupate
explain the pupae stage of the life cycle
- cocoon is white and oval shaped
- cocoon is sticky and collects debris to camouflage
- pupae are resistant to chemicals and drying out
- emergence occurs in 3-9 days depending on pressure heat and Co2
- if conditions are not met can be dormant for 2 years
- cocoon holds pre emerged adult which pops out quickly
explain the adult stage of the flea life cycle
- emerged adult immediatly lands on host
- adult uses proboscis to find blood vessel
- flea saliva prevents coagulation of blood
- flea saliva causes FAD
- flea feces causes cat scratch disease in humans
- fleas are usually scratched or groomed off host before reaching its lifespan of 100 days
- fleas are obligate external parasites and do not jump of the host
what percent of the problem is the flea egg?
what percent of the problem is the flea larva?
what percent of the problem is the flea pupae?
what percent of the problem is the adult flea?
name the 4 stages of the flea life cycle
eggs are produced how many hours after the first blood meal?
eggs hatch in how many days?
what two varients affect the hatching of the egg?
humidity and temperature
where are eggs laid?
on the host
what do larvae eat?
organic debris like flea dirt
what varients do the larvae need to survive?
what are the larvae sensitive to?
heat and light
how many moults do the larvae go through in how many days?
2 moults or 3 in stars in 5-11 days
what are pupae resistant to?
chemicals and drying out
when does emergence of the pupae happen?
in 3-9 days
what does emmergence of the pupae depend on ?
pressure heat and co2
if conditions are not met for a pupae how long can they remain dorment?
what does the cocoon hold?
the pre emerged adult which pops out quickly
when the adult has emerged what will it do next?
immediately find a host and take a blood meal
what does proboscis mean?
it is what the flea uses to find a blood vessel to take a meal
what does flea saliva do to the blood?
prevents it from coagulating
flea saliva causes?
Flea allergy dermatitis Fad
flea feces causes what in humans?
cat scratch disease
why do fleas not normally reach there full 100 day life span?
they are usually scratched or groomed of the host
what type of parasites are fleas?
obligate external parasites
what does obligate external parasites mean?
they spend there life on one host
list flea prevention products
- ecto sooth shampoo
- ecto smoothe plus
- preventic collar
- ovitrol duel action collar
- advantage multi
- k9 advantix
ecto soothe shampoo A.I
ecto soothe plus
2 x pyrethrins as Ecto soothe shampoo
preventic collar A.I
ovitrol duel action collar
vet kem premise sprays A.I
methoprene , permethrins
Advantage Multi A.I
k9 advantix A.I
which A.I should not be used with felines?
permethrins, it cannnot be metabolized
what are 4 other types of fleas?
- human flea
- poultry flea
- rat flea
- rabbit flea
which flea is most common?
cat flea C.felis
naturally occuring insecticide derived from the african chrysanthemum- adulticide
synthetic pyrethrin -dangerous to cats
usually pyrethrins with no residual
insect growth regulator- gets egg and larvae
insect development inhibitor-inhibits chitin, which affects the fleas exoskeleton (bone teeth ect)
Integrated flea managment
using a combination of flea products
on label and off label products
- on label products are tested and researched and adhere to regulations
- off label are found during the research of another use and are not researched enough to be used on label. normally used at drs descretion