Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Catabolism vs. Anabolism
Catabolism - breaking down C-C and C-H bonds such as carbs, fats, and proteins into energy products (CO2, water, NH3)
Anabolism- is the synthesis of macromolecules from precusors; polysac. (sugars), nucleic acids (NT), lipids (FA) and protiens (AA) from energy sources
What infromation does studying metabolism provide?
- 1. Sequence of rxns and energetics
- 2. Each step of rxn transformation
- 3. Control mechanisms that regulate flow of metabolites
Approaches to studying metabolism?
- 1. metabolic inhibitors, growth studies,biochemical genetics
- 2. isotopic labeling of metabolites
- 3. isolated organs, cells, subcellular organelles
- 4. Systems biology: genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview