Behavioral Principles of Live Stock Handling
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What types of noises are bad?
loud, sudden noises
What is considered good noise? How does good noise benefit the animals?
- white noise/background noise
- mutes the unavoidable loud noises and can increase productivity/decrease stress
What do we want to avoid visually when working with large animals?
- avoid moving objects
- avoid drastic color changes and/or shadows
What do large animals do to see objects better?
lower the heads
Do large animals move around curved stuff or straight lines/corners better?
Why is stress bad?
- decreases production (weight gain, milk production)
- stress is "contagious"
- can be fatal
- decreases reproductive performance
- decreases quality of product at slaughter is stressed during that time
- decreases rumen function
- decreases immune system function
What is the size of the flight zone based on?
- size of enclosure
- the individual animal - degree of socialization, illness, nursing
- anything new/novel will increase size of flight zone
Where is the point of balance?
at the shoulder
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview