Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is 'packing DNA'?
DNA which does not encode genes
What are variable number tandem repeats?
When a pattern of 3-5 nucleotides randomly repeats itself over and over again
What are the steps in creating a DNA profile?
- To make a DNA profile you must:
- Isolate DNA (take sample, break open cells, etc)
- Replicate DNA with PCR
- Digest DNA with restriction enzymes (above and below VNTR you are looking at)Run cut DNA on electrophoresis gel (negatively charged DNA moves to positive charge, small pieces move faster than larger pieces)
- Blot the DNA onto a filter (NaOH or heat denatures it - breaks open H bonds so probe can anneal to nucleotides)
- Hybridise with a probe (single or multi-locus). The position of the probes give a DNA profile for that individual.
When are single-locus probes usually used?
In paternity cases
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview