Human Sexuality Test 3
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
How does spermicide work, advantages, disadvantages:
- 1. Spermicides: has two components (think: sperm1
- cide2) one is a base: jelly, cream, foam and film that holds the spermicide
- close to the cervix; second, spermicide itself, in either foam, cream, jelly;
- applied with finger or applicator.
Perfect use: 82%
- Generally sperm
- is more effective
- Advantage: easy
- to get, over the counter, easily carried.
- must be used each time the couple has sex, can get very expensive
How does IUD/Intrauterine work, advantages, disadvantages?
- 2. IUD/ Intrauterine: a small
- device that is made of plastic and place in the uterus; mainly to block semen
- from entering. It works by not just blocking but also releasing hormones,
- progestin, which thickens the mucus and inhibits sperm survival.
- Some of the
- highest levels of effectiveness: 92.2%-99.9%
- It also depends on the woman’s age and
- if she has never been pregnant.
- Advantage: over
- time the least expensive and does not interfere with spontaneity. And long
- lasting contraceptive effects
- Disadvantage: moderately
- painful removal and insertion pain; partner may feel it and irregular bleeding
Give two reasons why withdrawing the penis from the vigina before ejaculation is not an effective form of contraception.
- 3. Coitus Interruptus/ reason why is
- not an effective form of contraception:
- The main reason
- for this is pre-ejaculatory fluid, which is secreted out of the penis during
- arousal. It is secreted during sexual intercourse without the man even knowing
- it and it contains sperms. The number of sperms is even greater in this fluid
- if the man ejaculated a short time ago and so any one of the sperms can already
- be on its way to the ovum even before the man has an orgasm—fertility cycle in
- women might not be the same either.
NuvaRing, how it works, advantages and disadvantages
- NuvaRing: It is a hormonal
- method of birth control; a small plastic ring that is inserted into the vigina
- once a month and releases a constant dose of estrogen and progesterone. It works by inhibiting ovulation. It is inserted deep into the vigina and
- it is held in place by the vaginal muscles, heat and moisture activate the
- release of hormones.
- not interfere with spontaneity; highly effective; reduces flow of menstruation;
- increases menstrual regularity.
- protection from STI’S; weight gain, weight loss; decrease sexual desires
The pill, how it works, advantages and disadvantage
- Pill: a preparation of
- synthetic female hormones; it works by replacing the women’s own hormones and
- releasing the synthetic in different amounts.
- of the highest effectiveness rate; do not interfere with spontaneity; reduces
- flow of menstruation; protection from pelvic inflammatory disease.
- be taken daily’ no STI protection; if certain drugs or herbs are use it can
- interfere with effectiveness
Patch, how does it work, advantage and disadvantage
- Patch: Hormonal same as pill
- effective: same as pill
- blood clots and high levels of estrogen
Depo Shot, how it works and advantages and disadvantages
- Depo shot: hormonal shot;
- start working in the same way as the pill and the patch but within 24 hours
- not contain estrogen, reversible and 3 month at a time
- schedule visits every 3 months also slight weight gain.
Diaphragm, how it works, advantages and disadvantage
- Diaphragm: Barrier method, prevents sperm from meeting the cervix, also need
- spermicide and must be fitted.
- not affect hormonal levels; reduces the risk of cancer; relatively expensive
- the risk of toxic shock syndrome and urinary tract infection
What is Emergency Contraception
- EC—is known as the morning after pill. It is taken when no
- contraception has been taken or failed other types. It works by inhibiting or
- delaying ovulation. It must start withing72 hours of intercourse; when used in
- combination with other methods pregnancy risk is reduced to up to 99%.
What is Nonoxynol-9
- Nonoxynol-9 it is an effective spermicide—cons—it does not
- protect from STI or HIV; vaginal or anal irritation
Type of lube you can and can’t use with condoms
- Baby oil, petroleum jelly, grease and hand
- lotion, anything with out oil or petroleum since this will degrade the condom
- rending it useless against STI’S and HIV.
How can you make your own dental dam cheaply and easily?
- A. Saran wrap and other plastic wraps and maybe
- even a condom, break the tip off and cut.
8 mistakes people make with condoms that make them ineffective
- Use the wrong lubrication
- Use an old one (EXPIRED)
- Keep it in their wallets
- Tear with teeth when opening
- Not hold on to it after ejaculation
List three major side effects of birth control pills
- Vision or eye problems
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview