The New Deal
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- "A new deal for America"
- FDR's program:
- 1. Relief for the needy
- 2. Economic recovery
- 3. Financial Reform
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- P: Banks were failing and people lost money and didn't trust banks
- Government Action: Government insured bank deposits (made sure people would get their deposited money back).
- Federal Emergency Relief Administration
- P: People are struggling and have immdiate emergency needs
- Government Action: A clearinghouse of money is created to help overburdened local relief agencies.
- Harry Hopkins gave out $5 million within 2 hours
- Civil Works Administration
- Problem: Unemployment and hopelessnes
- Government action:
- Gave jobs to the unemployed
- Program built roads, parks, and airports
- Improved the countries morale
- Provided 4 million jobs
- Civilian Conservation Corps
- Problem: Unemployment for young men
- Government Action:
- Put 3 million 18-25 year old men to work restoring and maintaining forests, beaches, and parks
- FDR believed strongly in the environment and conservation
- Workers were paid $30 a month but $25 sent back home
- Workers were provided free fodd and shelter
- National Recovery Administration
- Problem: Economy is not growing
- Gov. Action:
- Set out to balance the unstable economy through sensible planning
- Wrote industry codes that regulate wages, working conditions, producation and even prices
- Set a minimum wage and gave organized labor collective bargaining rights
- Public Works Administration
- Gov. Action:
- Launched major projects ranging from Grandd Coulee Dam to a causeway connecting Key West to the Florida mainland
- Created JOBS!
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview